Max (formerly HBO Max) is a latecomer to the streaming game, but it's one of the most popular streaming services out there. Thanks to its long-term development, Max/HBO Max houses an extensive library of TV shows, movies and a large number of original content, there’s no shortage of perks. In addition to watching a variety of premium content online, Max/HBO Max also allows subscribers to download movies and TV shows to their devices for offline viewing. In the following text, we will show you everything you need to know about watching Max movies or shows offline on PC, Mac, Android, iOS and other devices.
Part 1: What Do We Need to Watch Max Content Offline
To stream Max (HBO) content offline, you need:
1. A supported device with enough storage: The download feature is only avaible on selected devices. To utilize the download feature, ensure that you own one of the following supported devices:
Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
Android phone and tablet
Amazon Fire tablet
2. An Ad-free account: Max offers three subscription plans, each with its unique benefits. To download content for offline viewing, you need to subscribe to the ad-free plan. Here are the available plans and their corresponding prices:
With Ads: For $9.99/month or $99.99/year, you can stream Full HD 1080p content on two devices simultaneously.
Ad-Free: For $15.99/month or $149.99/year, you can enjoy all the features of the previous plan while also having the ability to download up to 30 titles for offline viewing.
Ultimate Ad-Free: For $19.99/month or $199.99/year, you can experience Full HD 1080p content, 4K UHD with Dolby Atmos on select titles, and stream on up to four devices simultaneously. This plan grants you the ability to download up to 100 titles for offline viewing.
3. The latest version of Max app. Ensure that you have the latest version of the HBO Max app installed on your device. Older versions may encounter issues while attempting to download content. Update the app to benefit from the latest features and improvements.
4. A stable and fast internet connection. While downloading content to watch offline, it is essential to have a stable and fast internet connection. By default, HBO Max limits downloads to Wi-Fi connections to conserve cellular data. However, you can enable downloads over a cellular network by accessing the App Settings > Download Settings and toggling on the "Download Over Cellular" option.
Part 2: How to Download Videos via the Max/HBO Max App
Follow the steps below to learn how to download videos through the Max/HBO Max app on Android, iOS and Amazon Frie devices.
1. Install Max app on your devices first, you can download it from App Store or Google Play. Once installation, please open and choose an episode or a movie you want to download.
2. Click on the details page of the selected video, there will be a big download button (the down arrow icon) under the video title, click the button to start downloading.
Note: Not all titles are available to download, if you don't see the icon, it means that you cannot download it to watch offline.
3. A download complete icon (check mark) appears when the download is complete. Click the download icon to check all your downloads.
Something you need to notice:
Downloads will be stored in the internal storage of your device and cannot be saved to an SD card or any other external storage (If you want to move the download to USB Drive, then refer to How to Download HBO Max Video to USB Drive). Please make sure you have sufficient space available in your device's internal storage before downloading.
Unwatched downloads will automatically expire after 30 days from the date of downloading, or when a show or movie is no longer available on Max.
Once you start watching the downloaded content, you will have a 48-hour window to finish watching it before it expires. If your downloaded content expires, you will need to renew it in order to watch it again.
Part 3: Troubleshooting
1. Can't Play Max(HBO) Downloads
If you encounter issues with downloaded content not playing, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:
Update the Max App: Ensure that you have the latest version of the HBO Max app installed on your device. Outdated app versions can sometimes cause playback issues.
Check for Download Expiry: Confirm that your download has not expired. If it has expired, you can renew it by selecting the Downloads icon (an arrow pointing down) in the Max app. Then, choose the Expired download icon (resembling a clock) on the specific download you want to renew and select "Renew Download."
Clear the HBO Max Cache: Access the settings on your mobile device, locate Max app, and then select "Storage & cache" or "Storage" to clear the app cache. After clearing the cache, reopen the app and attempt to play the downloaded content again.
2. Can't Access The Downloads While Traveling
If Max is not available in the country you are visiting, you can consider using a VPN to access the service online or offline. To watch downloaded content while traveling, you need to enable Airplane mode on your device and turn off Wi-Fi before you open the app. Otherwise, the app will quickly detect your IP and block your streaming.
Part 4: Can I Download HBO Max Content to Watch Offline on PC/Mac?
You will find that although Max/HBO Max considerately provides users with a download function, it still has the above-mentioned shortcomings. Some users may want to save downloaded videos permanently, or download videos to computers, TVs or other devices. Don't worry, SameMovie comes in handy.
SameMovie Max Video Downloader a versatile tool that is fully compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. It is capable of saving content from HBO Max to your devices for offline streaming. The downloads maintain high-quality video and audio, and can be played on any MP4-supported or MKV-supported devices and do not expire, providing convenient access to your favorite shows and movies at any time.
Features of SameMovie HBOMax Video Downloader:
Download content without ad-free plan
Save Max videos in MP4/MKV format
Batch download feature & 5X download speed
Built-in player to stream and download content easily
SameMovie Max Video Downloader is integrated with the official Max sites, making the streaming and downloading processes very similar to the Max app. To watch content offline on your PC or Mac, simply download the app and follow the provided instructions.
STEP 1 Download and Launch HBOMax Video Downloader
Open the app by clicking on its blue logo, which can be easily located on your computer. You will then be prompted to click "Sign In" and log into your account.
Note: SameMovie needs to work with a Max account to access Max services. But please don't worry, SameMovie will not collect any information other than the videos and your personal and privacy safety can be guaranteed to the greatest extent.
STEP 2 Adjust Settings
In this step, you can changh the output format, language, output path, just click the Setting icon to open the Window
STEP 3 Add Movies or TV Series from Max
Type in the name of your favorite video into the search box, and the downloader will list all related videos in no time.
STEP 4 Select "Advanced Download" Setting
Choose your preferred audio tracks and subtitles. If you are trying to download a movie, click the movie, and a window will pop up letting you to open the corresponding window. If you're trying to download a TV show, click the TV show, and select the season and title, then click "Advanced Download" in the lower left corner to select the audio tracks and subtitles.
STEP 5 Start to Download Max Video
Quickly comes to the final step, just click on the Download button and SameMovie will download your video extremely fast.
Here are all you want to know about watching Max video offline. Using the Max/HBO Max app to download videos is the most convenient and fast method, but it has many flaws that will make users dissatisfied. So it is recommended that you use an all-around downloader like SameMovie HBOMax Video Downloader to help you get rid of restrictions, and even With Ads subscribers can also use SameMovie to download videos easily.